Parolee, With Gun/Children in Car, Leads Law Enforcement on Chase

Posted on April 9, 2009. Filed under: Crime, Parole |

Wanted felon turns himself in after I-80 standoff

By Chelsea Phua
Sacramento Bee
Published April 9, 2009
A twice-convicted felon who led police on a high-speed pursuit on Interstate 80 in the Sierra Nevada ended a six-hours-plus standoff near Soda Springs by turning himself in Wednesday night.

Kenny Waters of Waters Bail Bonds identified the driver as Andrew Jason Rosas of Sacramento, who was out on $70,000 bail on drug charges. Rosas, who held his wife and three children hostage, released them at about 8:30 p.m.

According to Waters, before surrendering shortly before 10:30 p.m., Rosas smoked a cigarette, then stepped out of the car, telling police he “was going to turn himself in like a man.”

Police said Rosas was armed with a shotgun. Court records showed he had been scheduled for trial April 15.

The children are ages 14, 9 and 11 months, said Stan Perez, CHP Valley Division chief. Waters said the older children are Rosas’ stepsons.

“Tonight, four human beings, their lives were saved because officers stood in harm’s way,” Perez said.

After the chase, a CHP lieutenant spent about two hours on the phone with Rosas, who remained in the car. Perez said that helped to gain Rosas’ trust and persuade him not to harm his hostages.

The chase started about 2:20 p.m. in Sacramento County at Folsom Boulevard and Manlove Road, when sheriff’s deputies tried to stop Rosas. Sheriff’s Sgt. R.L. Davis said the driver’s bail was revoked Wednesday by the District Attorney’s Office.

Waters said he learned that Rosas was planning to flee Wednesday and requested help from sheriff’s officials, who tracked Rosas down.

Rosas had stopped briefly at a restaurant to talk to someone when he realized that authorities found him. He immediately jumped into the car and fled with his wife and children inside, Waters said.

Deputies pursued the driver onto Highway 50, then Interstate 80 into Placer County, where CHP officers took over the chase, Davis said.

The pursuit ended after less than two hours when CHP officers used a spike strip to deflate the Toyota sedan’s tires west of Soda Springs.

During the standoff, Interstate 80 was shut down in both directions between Truckee and Baxter, CHP officials report.


Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: