Archive for June, 2009

Oakland parolee sought in Richmond homicide case

Posted on June 25, 2009. Filed under: Crime, Parole |

By Karl Fischer
West County Times

Posted: 06/22/2009 05:04:48 PM PDT

Updated: 06/23/2009 06:04:36 AM PDT

  

A parolee shot a man to death during a street fight Saturday, less than two weeks after his arrest in connection with an unrelated Oakland homicide, Richmond police said.

Warren King, 43, went to jail June 9 after Oakland detectives and Richmond police went to his grandmother’s house in south Richmond and arrested him on suspicion of pulling the trigger in a March 2007 shooting that left a man dead in the 5200 block of San Pablo Avenue in Oakland.

Oakland police had issued an arrest warrant for King, who previously had been paroled from state prison after serving time for a manslaughter conviction, and recently learned that he sometimes stayed at an address in the 2200 block of Potrero Avenue in Richmond.

Oakland detectives, however, apparently did not find enough evidence to persuade Alameda County prosecutors to charge him. Nor did any involved police agency find cause to place a hold on his release while they investigated him, as terms of a parolee’s release from prison typically allow.

Authorities released King from North County Jail in Oakland on June 11, records show.

Nine days later, Richmond police ran across King again.

“He was staying off and on at the relative’s house,” Richmond Detective Sgt. Bisa French said. “The victim was staying with his fiance across the street.”

King knew the woman across the street and walked over to chat with her through her front-door security gate Saturday afternoon. He made a comment within earshot of the fiance that rubbed 41-year-old John Lyles the wrong way, police said.

 Lyles confronted King, French said. They exchanged words, and Lyles ordered King off the property.

A few minutes later, Lyles walked out the front door to smoke a cigarette. King saw him and rushed across the street, French said. The men fought until about 2:10 p.m., several witnesses told police, when King pulled a handgun and shot Lyles in the chest, French said.

Lyles died soon thereafter. King left, and Richmond police now seek him.

Oakland police had sought King in connection with the March 15, 2007, shooting death of Marcus Walker Jr. Walker, 28, crashed his car on San Pablo Avenue not far from the Emeryville border about 4 a.m. Paramedics took him to a regional trauma center, thinking the crash injured him, but doctors there found where a round had penetrated. He died soon after arriving at the emergency room.

King has contacts in Oakland, Richmond and Berkeley and might be hiding anywhere along the Interstate 80 corridor, investigators said.

How to help
Richmond police ask anyone with information about Saturday’s shooting death in the 2200 block of Potrero Avenue to call Detective Eric Haupt at 510-620-6622 or Detective Sgt. Lori Curran at 510-620-6647.


Advertisements
Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( Comments Off on Oakland parolee sought in Richmond homicide case )

Budget plan will unleash crime wave in communities

Posted on June 25, 2009. Filed under: California State Budget, Crime, Crime Victims |

Published online on Tuesday, Jun. 23, 2009

By Jerry P. Dyer

The economic downturn, increased unemployment rates and a rise in alcohol consumption and drug use have created an irritable and unpredictable society that has the potential to negatively influence crime rates.

All of this, coupled with the increased number of parolees on our streets in Fresno due to the early release of inmates, will make it more difficult to control crime in Fresno and throughout the state. Given Fresno’s demographics, our challenges may even be greater than other cities.

Adding to the frustration for law enforcement in Fresno and the entire state is the budget mess in Sacramento. We will all be less safe if the current budget that’s being considered in Sacramento is adopted.

The proposed budget includes some unprecedented provisions that will place our communities directly at risk.

First, the budget proposes reductions in the Department of Corrections that will involve the wholesale accelerated release of at least 20,000 felons into our communities.

Please understand that in California, felons re-offend 70% of the time over a three-year period. In addition, most law enforcement studies have shown that by the time someone is arrested, they have committed approximately 13 crimes. Finally, in other states where felons have been released early, 20% of the crimes they committed were violent ones.

Putting this all together for California, this means that 14,000 felons are likely to commit more than 180,000 new crimes over a three-year period — 36,000 of which will be violent crimes.

In 2008, violent crime in Fresno fell 8.6% compared to 2007, and between 2001 and 2008, violent crime had fallen by 32%. Unfortunately, the worsening economy, the increased release of parolees and other stressors in our community has led to a near 10% increase in violent crime during the first five months of 2009.

We were already starting to see this unfortunate trend develop last year when property crime rose 5.1% in 2008, the first increase since 2001.

Second, the proposed budget actually undercuts the very concept of “public” safety. It does this by requiring that local police departments pay a fee each time they use the state crime lab for forensic services. They have to pay this fee even though your taxes are already paying for the state crime labs.

This effectively means that public safety is no longer public. While affluent communities may be able to have the state crime lab process rape kits for essential DNA information, poorer communities will be unable to do so.

This state budget — for the first time in the state’s history — will mandate inferior investigative services for crime victims who live in poorer communities. This is not only terrible public safety policy, it is shameful and offensive.

Should this proposal become a reality, it will cost the Fresno Police Department more than $1 million annually. This would require us to cut elsewhere, or to simply not process evidence as we should.

Finally, the proposed budget completely destroys the 51 multi-jurisdictional methamphetamine task forces that have played a significant role in our front-line defense against major methamphetamine producers.

Meth operations have become increasingly sophisticated and violent, and these task forces have been essential to local law enforcement. Moreover, the Mexican drug cartels are poised to move their operations into California. The destruction of these task forces amounts to unilateral disarmament of essential law enforcement resources.

This is unacceptable; surely Sacramento policymakers can do better than this.

As it stands today, these three proposals are all poised to be adopted; if they are, the safety of communities across California will be compromised.

Jerry P. Dyer is the chief of police for the city of Fresno.
Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( Comments Off on Budget plan will unleash crime wave in communities )

Parolee wanted for holding four Crestline women hostage, hitting one with hammer

Posted on June 25, 2009. Filed under: Crime, Parole |

Posted: 06/23/2009 02:57:56 PM PDT
Sheriff’s deputies are searching for a man accused of holding four women hostage inside a Crestline house late Monday, hitting one with a hammer when she tried to escape.

Thomas Joseph Murphy, a 41-year-old convict whose moniker is “Corporal,” is wanted for kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon and violating his parole.

Murphy went looking for his girlfriend at one of her friend’s house just before 10 p.m. Monday and forced four women into the house, threatening to kill them if tried to bolt. It is unclear why Murphy was angry.

He hit one of the women when she tried to run, said sheriff’s spokeswoman Arden Wiltshire. He allegedly smacked another with a hammer when she attempted to escape. A third victim eventually escaped and called her family, who notified sheriff’s deputies.

When deputies arrived at the house, Murphy was nowhere to be found.

“I don’t know what made him decide to leave, but he did,” Wiltshire said.

Murphy is 6-feet tall with green eyes and brown hair. He weighs 230 pounds and has three tattoos: a “69” on his wrist, a “13” on his forearm and a swastika on his neck.

Anyone with information is asked to call sheriff’s deputies at (909) 336-0600.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( Comments Off on Parolee wanted for holding four Crestline women hostage, hitting one with hammer )

Parolee held in musician’s killing

Posted on June 25, 2009. Filed under: Parole |

June 17, 2009

By PAUL LAROCCO
The Press-Enterprise

 

SAN BERNARDINO – A gang member was jailed Wednesday in connection with the robbery and slaying of an aspiring musician at a city park.

Detectives arrested Erik Ibarra at 3 p.m. as he walked to his home in the 2600 block of East Second Street, said San Bernardino police homicide Sgt. Dave Dillon.

The 24-year-old parolee was identified as a suspect in Sunday night’s fatal shooting of Michael Edayan at Blair Park through evidence left behind, Dillon said.

A second suspect, whose name was not released, remains at large.

Police said they believe it was Ibarra who fired the bullets that struck Edayan at 11:12 p.m.

The victim and four friends were drinking beer and listening to music inside the West Marshall Boulevard park when some other men approached, accompanied by two women.

One of the men pulled a handgun and demanded money, but the group didn’t have any, Dillon said.

The robbers took their beer instead. As they left, words were exchanged and the gunman turned back and fired, Dillon said.

Edayan, a 22-year-old punk rock enthusiast from Highland, died there.

“It was very cold blooded,” Dillon said.

Ibarra belongs to a gang in Monrovia, a small city bordering Pasadena, Dillon said. He was booked into jail on suspicion of murder, and held without bail.

Earlier this month, Edayan made his first live performance at a Redlands bar, singing one of his own compositions.

On MySpace, he wrote passionately of art, activism and being “a heart broken fool trying to save his soul along with rock and roll.”

“If you are not satisfied with the way things are,” he wrote, “let your voice be heard.”

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( Comments Off on Parolee held in musician’s killing )

Parolee arrested for burglary – Out of Prison for Just Two Months

Posted on June 25, 2009. Filed under: Parole |

Wednesday, Jun. 17, 2009

By VICTOR A. PATTON vpatton@mercedsun-star.com 

A parolee who’d only been out of prison for two months is behind bars again, after Merced police arrested him Tuesday on suspicion of burglary. Rex Eugene Archer, 28, was arrested shortly after 4 a.m. after he allegedly burglarized three houses and six cars in the 3100 block of Dublin Avenue and 3300 block of Shamrock Place. Police responded after a male resident on Shamrock Place spotted the suspect. The witness noticed that Archer had opened the garage door, and was entering the kitchen of his residence. The resident was startled, and chased Archer for a short distance, according to Cmdr. Floyd Higdon. The victim discovered that a car parked outside had been entered and ransacked. A garage door opener was also missing from inside the car, Higdon said. After arriving at the scene, police noticed the garage doors to other homes had been opened. Police contacted another resident on Shamrock Place, who learned that property from his garage was missing, Higdon said. Archer was then spotted by police, seated in the driver’s seat of a car in front of the home, with the rear hatch open. Although the resident said the car belonged to him, Archer claimed his name was “Craig,” saying that he lived at the home, Higdon said. The owners of the house and car said they didn’t know Archer, adding that he didn’t have permission to be in their car. Inside the car, police also found a variety of items from the homes that had been broken into, such as a guitar with a case, jewelry, a chainsaw, garage door openers and other items, Higdon said. Archer was then taken into custody. Higdon said the man who chased Archer also identified him during an in-field lineup. Higdon said police located three houses and six cars that Archer had broken into, taking about $1,330 worth of property. Archer later admitted committing the burglaries and gave a full statement to police, Higdon said. He was booked into the Merced County Jail, where he remains without bail.

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( Comments Off on Parolee arrested for burglary – Out of Prison for Just Two Months )

Grieving Widower and Defense Attorney Denounces Major Problems with SB 399 Passed by California Senate

Posted on June 11, 2009. Filed under: Parole |

PRESS RELEASE – For Immediate Release: June 6, 2009

(Lafayette, California ) This week the California Senate passed SB 399, a bill sponsored by Senator Leland Yee that would give all murderers sentenced to Life Without the Possibility of Parole, who were under age 18 at the time of their crimes, a chance at parole. Defense Attorney Daniel Horowitz, widower of a woman murdered by one of these 240 or so California “special circumstance” murderers, has been studying the situation closely and to highlight the major problems he sees with the bill, he has put up a new website: http://sb399.com

Daniel Horowitz says: “On October 15, 2005, my wife Pamela was murdered by a young man who was just shy of 17 years of age. He was a serial killer by his own design.  Pamela’s courageous fight for her life marked this killer and created the forensic evidence that led to his conviction.  Had she not fought so bravely, he would have escaped and he would have killed again, and again. SB 399 is a bill that will change California’s criminal sentencing system and it will give a chance at parole for all people who killed if they did this before they were 18 years of age. This parole would be available to Child Rapist/Murderers, Torturers, and Serial Killers. I oppose injustice but we must not use isolated instances of injustice as an excuse to free serial killers. There are other minor reform solutions available to those few cases that need to be addressed, that would not at the same time endanger the rest of us. And we must avoid adding an immense new expense to an already over-burdened state budget.”

Mr. Horowitz did a professional analysis of the financial costs of SB 399 to the taxpayers of California and published his findings on the website. It shows that SB 399 would be incredibly expensive – and in a state already overwhelmed by financial burdens for even basic necessities it cannot afford. Daniel Horowitz also published on his website a detailed critique of a report published by Human Rights Watch that led directly to the creation of SB 399. It turns out the report on the California “juvenile life without parole” situation is flawed and ridden with errors. Mr. Horowitz continues his practice as a defense attorney who also works as a supporter of victims of juvenile murderers like himself.

Many in the state of California who are concerned with public safety, victims of violent crime, and law enforcement have come out against SB 399. These groups include the National Organization of Parents of Murdered Children, Inc., Crime Victims United of California, Klaas Kids Foundation, Crime Victims Action Alliance, the California District Attorneys Association, and others. NOVJL, the National Organization of Victims of “Juvenile Lifers”, is greatly concerned with not only the real danger many families face if these offenders were to be released early, but also the un-ending re-traumatization of parole hearings for the rest of their lives these victims’ families would face, should this bill become law. We call on Senator Yee to hold further action on the bill until he has worked with the prosecutors of the state to find and notify all the victims of these crimes about his intention to try to change these life sentences. Senator Yee’s retroactive intention to undo the life without parole sentences of those who murdered their loved ones violates victims’ constitutional rights by denying them knowledge of, and a voice in, their own cases.
                                                                                                        ###

Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( Comments Off on Grieving Widower and Defense Attorney Denounces Major Problems with SB 399 Passed by California Senate )

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...